Wednesday, October 24, 2007

They Make Bluegrass Cool





My whole life I remember sitting around and listening to what my family called mountain music. My grandmother would sing it and my stepdad played it. Being from WV I have been around "mountain music" my whole life. Of course, most people know this type of music as bluegrass. As I have gotten older and my music tastes have changed I kind of drifted away from this style of music, choosing to listen to alternative and contemporary folk instead. Then along came Nickel Creek, a trio of musicians, from California of all places, who embody the spirit of my hometown music in a whole new way. Modernizing bluegrass is not an easy task. The technical skill required to play the instruments involved (fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and bass) is tremendous. To play these instruments with such passion and excellence while also transforming a style of music is simply miraculous.
Last week, I had the chance to see this group live and in person for perhaps the final time. I attended a concert in Covington, KY on Friday night, which was a stop on Nickel Creek's Farewell (for now) tour. The show was general admission and Daniel and I spent two hours enthralled by a group that was a mere 10 feet away as we stood with other admirers spitting distance away from the band.
I won't get into a critique of their music here, but go to amazon or itunes and check them out. If you are at all musically open minded you will find them just talented, passionate, and revolutionary as I do.
So, in closing thank you Nickel Creek for these years of ridiculously amazing music and for a great show on Friday. You make me proud to be a mountain girl.
I hope to see you together again one day.

No comments: